[R] the joy of spreadsheets (off-topic)

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 17:58:54 CEST 2013

In case you haven't noticed, this is making the rounds in the media, including a handful of references to R. See e.g.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/04/17/0215211/excel-error-contributes-to-problems-with-austerity-study

I suppose we can't fortune()'ify anonymous quotes, but I kind of like this exchange:

"Bacon Bits": "SPSS and R are very good at statistical analysis. Quantrix, MapleSoft, IBM Algorithmics, and other software is for financial data modeling. None of those is particularly appropriate for sharing data in a useful format with peers. Excel is."

"Hatta": "R is extremely appropriate for sharing data in a useful format with peers. It's completely free for one. But more importantly, it saves every single step of your analysis. Send someone an Excel file, and who knows what they've done to the data. Send someone your R project directory and they can see exactly what you did.

The problem with sending R files to your peers isn't that the R files aren't useful. It's that your peers aren't."