[R] extracting the diagonal of an inverse matrix

Camarda, Carlo Giovanni Camarda at demogr.mpg.de
Mon Apr 22 10:51:25 CEST 2013

Dear Greg,

thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I was aware of the link and the associated papers.
In my previous mail I was wondering whether there was already an R-routine for coping with this issue.

I add below a testable example which reproduces my problem.

Thanks again,
Giancarlo

## dimensions (my actual dimensions are much larger and I use sparse matrices)
m <- 3
n <- 3
## building A
## diagonal part
d <- 1:(m*n)
D <- diag(d)
## additional ~dense part (:penalty term)
P1 <- diff(diag(m), diff=2)
P2 <- diff(diag(n), diff=2)
P1a <- kronecker(diag(n), t(P1)%*%P1)
P2a <- kronecker(t(P2)%*%P2, diag(m))