[R] Problem quitting

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:54:10 CEST 2013

On Apr 4, 2013, at 13:33 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On 04/04/2013 12:17, peter dalgaard wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2013, at 23:58 , Julian Wells wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone explain why all of a sudden I can't quit?
>>
>> Almost certainly because you have a .Last function that fails. Either get rid of it, or try q("n", runLast=FALSE).
>
> I don't think so.  This seems to be R.app on a Mac, and that has a custom q() function.  Now q("n") is never valid, but the R.app version does not tell you so.

I never noticed that... However, q("no") should work. I also forgot that q() doesn't use match.arg() (did it ever?).

> As it says, it is a permission issue when trying to save.

Yes, so changing working directory to somewhere non-writable might cause it. That's the more likely scenario, I agree.

(I'm not completely ruling out .Last(). A colleague of mine uses a .Last() to save what goes on in class to his USB stick, but if he accidentally saves his workspace to the hard drive, the unsuspecting next teacher using R on that machine may find himself unable to quit.)