[R] Ask help

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Apr 4 00:41:21 CEST 2013

On 04/04/2013 01:31 AM, DONG Echo wrote:
> Hello!
>   I am eager to learn if I only have a data about the relationship between otu and sample, could I use the function capscale, and final make a point plot that x-axis is CAP1 and y-axis is CAP2?   Besides, what function could I use to make the different rarefaction curve with different color in the a plot in R? Appreciate very much.
>                                                                                                                                           Sincerely!
Hi Echo,
This is such a great question that I am going to try to answer part of
it. OTU tables are roughly observation by category tables, and as you
mention the capscale (vegan) function, this will probably reduce to
sampling unit by species. The CAPx scores can be plotted on 2D
coordinates as in the first example from the capscale function. However,
it does not seem to make any sense to overlay rarefaction curves on the
CAP plot as the two are completely different measures. Displaying the
two plots side by side would probably be a better idea.

I tried to answer this for four reasons:

1) I didn't see another answer.
2) I thought it might be fun to find out what an OTU table was.
3) The question is an archetype of asking something highly specific
without providing the necessary information for anyone but the
questioner to understand it.
4) It struck me that the reverse often occurs, with answerers providing
information that the questioner has little chance of understanding
without a substantial amount of introduction.

Jim