[R] Is there a way to source from a specific Git repository without hardcoding the location everywhere?

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:54:25 CEST 2012

> I would usually do more than that:  I find the R documentation system
> helpful even when I'm the only user of a package (and there are the prompt*
> functions for quickly creating it, as well as package.skeleton to set things
> up at the beginning).  Vignettes are a great way to organize and document
> things that are done via scripts.  And if you want to include compiled C or
> C++ or Fortran code, packages are drastically easier to manage than other
> approaches.

Me too - but I'd never write Rd by hand ;) instead relying on roxygen2
to automate as much of the process as possible. I also find that
having the code and documentation co-located makes it easier to keep
in sync.

But my point main was that it's very easy to start a package - and you
don't need every component of a package for it to be useful.  In fact
the point of packages is to make your life easier - it's a set of
conventions to follow so that you don't have to invent everything from
scratch. Once you have conventions, then it's easy to use tools that
others have written for performing common operations.  And in R, you
have several philosophies of tools to choose from.

Hadley

--
RStudio / Rice University
http://had.co.nz/