[R] (core) designation on Task View

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue Sep 25 19:54:22 CEST 2012

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, k schoenfelder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does the (core) designation in the CRAN Task View indicate packages
> that provide basic/recommended functionality in that domain?

Sort of. It's really just a switch for giving the user a choice to just
install "the most important" or "all" packages.

> I don't see it documented anywhere on the site.

It's not on the web page but the "ctv" package documentation gives some
more information. E.g., the vignette says:

-----
It ... allows for a distinction between "core" and "normal" (default)
priority packages. The distinction is only important for the installation
of certain views because the user can specify whether all packages
(default) or only the most important core packages should be installed
(with all their dependencies).
-----

hth,