[R] puzzling script bug

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:17:57 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Robert Douglas Kinley
<kinley_robert at lilly.com> wrote:
> Windows XP (SP3)   ,   R 2.15.1  32bit
>
> Hi ...
>
> I have a script which fails and closes my R session.
>
> Unfortunately, it bombs out at a different point each time I run it.
>
> I'm guessing that it may be something to do with memory management, or
> perhaps it's to do with the various .C dll's the script calls.

Much more likely this one.

> Has anyone come across similar problems and if so, how did you track down the cause ?

Valgrind perhaps? Or stepping through it interactively?

See the Writing-R-Extensions manual for some tips, but it's a hard
process. You'll likely be rewarded in spending at least a little time
trying to identify which C call it is (first heuristic: if a crash is
at line n, you can immediately eliminate all the C calls after n)

Good luck,
Michael