[R] Importing a CSV file

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Sep 19 16:39:48 CEST 2012

On Sep 19, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas at sapo.pt> wrote:

> Em 19-09-2012 15:01, Sarah Goslee escreveu:
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Frans Marcelissen
>> <frans.marcelissen at digipsy.nl> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Should'nt it be A <- read.csv("C:\\\\Users\\Anthi\\Desktop\\R\\A.csv",
>>> header=TRUE)
>>> (c:\\ becomes c:\ In general I think it is better to use / and //)
>>> Frans
>> No idea; I was copying the original poster's version. In this case, it
>> would definitely be better to take advice on path construction from
>> someone who uses Windows!
>
> I use Windows and the answer is no, the four backslashes don't make sense, because like Frans said, c:\\ becomes c:\
> (There is no such thing as c:\\\\ ---> c:\\).
>
> Rui Barradas

Ahoy Mateys,

Not to mention, creating file paths on Windows is an Arrrr FAQ:

  http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#R-can_0027t-find-my-file

Savvy?

Marc Schwartz

P.S. It's International Talk Like a Pirate Day, which of course fits with a certain language we all hold dear. Somebody had to do it... ;-)