[R] Where is the R configuration file or how to override R compilers

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Sep 16 21:37:50 CEST 2012

On 16 September 2012 at 13:47, Eberle, Anthony wrote:
| I have a question about how one can modify or override the compilers
| that R uses for package installations?  Or if perhaps this configuration
| is in some editable file somewhere.

You have several choices:

  a) system-wide:  $R_HOME/etc/Makeconf

     (which we provide as a convenience link /etc/R/Makeconf on Debian/Ubuntu)

  b) per-user:     ~/.R/Makevars

     (which is my preferred personal choice to set gcc option, select clang, ...)

  c) per-package   src/Makevars

I like b) a lot to add/remove language-options such as -std=c++0x or -pedantic,
or to select clang / clang++ instead of gcc / g++, ...

Greetings to Northbrook,  Dirk