[R] Need help

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Sep 13 00:08:24 CEST 2012

Well, then ...

I've cc'ed this to R-Help so that you can get other opinions to that I
express below.

R is for data analysis, statistics, and graphing data. R **can** do
(natively) some symbolic mathematics/algebra; and there are R packages
(Ryacas for one) that provide interfaces to symbolic math systems
(Yacas in this case). But, in general, since you're already using
Maple for this purpose, I'd say to stick with it and learn to use R
for its intended purpose. One good tutorial to this end is "An
Introduction to R," which ships with every copy of R. There are also
many on the Web, and CRAN has many books on R listed.

-- Bert