[R] analysis of bitmaps

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 03:07:38 CEST 2012

There are several packages to do this, with probably rgdal as the most
general for reading - it will read many image formats as a
SpatialGridDataFrame (class from package sp). This class behaves like
a data.frame in many ways and can be coerced to one with
as.data.frame. Non-spatial image formats will be provided with a
default set of coordinates.

You might also be interested in packages pixmap, raster, jpeg, png,
tiff and several others that can be found on CRAN to do with "bitmap",
"image" or "raster". It really depends on your needs and the form that
your data are in.

Cheers, Mike.