[R] Colsplit, removing parts of a string

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:25:13 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am using colsplit (package = reshape) to split all strings
in a column according to the same patterns. Here
an example:

library(reshape2)

df1 <- data.frame(x=c("str1_name2", "str3_name5"))
df2 <- data.frame(df1, colsplit(df1$x, pattern = "_", names=c("str","name")))

This is nearly what I want but I want to remove the words "str" and
"name" from the values, because the columns are already named with
that words. Is there a way to remove them using colsplit? Or any other
simple way?

/johannes