[R] mean-aggregate – but use unique for factor variables

Martin Batholdy batholdy at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 25 23:32:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a data.frame which I want to aggregate.
There are some grouping variables and some continuous variables for which I would like to have the mean.

However there are also some factor-variables in the data-frame that are not grouping variables and I actually would like to aggregate these variables with the unique() function.

Is that possible with the standard aggregate-function?

If I use it like this:

aggregate(data, by=list(data$grouping1, data$grouping2), FUN=mean)

I get vectors of NAs for the other factor-variables in the data.frame.
But I actually want the unique value …

Is that possible?

thanks!