[R] Lattice bwplot(): Changing Orientation of Plots in Multipanel Display

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 6 20:03:28 CEST 2012

   I've looked again at Deepayan Sakar's 'Lattice' book and not seeing the
information I know must be in there. A clue stick would be much appreciated.

   A pair of box-and-whisker plots for two conditions of the same data set
display each box plot horizontally (see attached pH figure). Relations of
the two are not as easily seen as they would be if the two panels had the
plots oriented vertically. Alternatively, the panels could be oriented
horizontally so the two plots could be visually compared more easily.

   The command I used to produce the attached figure is:

bwplot( ~ pH | era, data = chem.cast, main = 'pH', xlab = 'Standard Units')

   What do I add to this to change the plot orientations to vertical? And,
where in the book are the details discussed?

TIA,

Rich