[R] [newbie] scripting remote check for R package

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Sun Sep 2 22:42:33 CEST 2012

summary: e.g., how to replace '<query R for package=package_name>'
in the following:

for RSERVER in 'foo' 'bar' 'baz' ; do
  ssh ${RSERVER} '<query R for package=package_name>'
done

or is there a better way to script checking for an R package?

details:

For my work I need a few non-standard R packages. I do that work on 2
clusters. One uses environment modules, so any given server on that
cluster can provide (via `module add`) pretty much the same resources.

The other cluster, on which I must also unfortunately work, has
servers managed individually, so I get in the habit of doing, e.g.,

EXEC_NAME='whatever'
for S in 'foo' 'bar' 'baz' ; do
  ssh ${RSERVER} "${EXEC_NAME} --version"
done

periodically. I'm wondering, what incantation to utter (bash preferred)
via ssh to query a given server's R for a given package?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>