[R] standard error for quantile

PIKAL Petr petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Oct 31 11:26:14 CET 2012

Hi Ted

<snip>

> The general asymptotic result for the pth quantile (0<p<1) X.p of a
> sample of size n is that it is asymptotically Normally distributed with
> mean the pth quantile Q.p of the parent distribution and
>
>   var(X.p) = p*(1-p)/(n*f(Q.p)^2)
>
> where f(x) is the probability density function of the parent
> distribution.

So if I understand correctly p*(1-p) is biggest when p=0.5 and decreases with smaller or bigger p. The var(X.p) then depends on ratio to parent distribution at this p probability. For lognorm distribution and 200 values the resulting var is

> (0.5*(1-.5))/(200*qlnorm(.5, log(200), log(2))^2)
[1] 3.125e-08
> (0.1*(1-.1))/(200*qlnorm(.1, log(200), log(2))^2)
[1] 6.648497e-08

so 0.1 var is slightly bigger than 0.5 var. For different distributions this can be reversed as Jim pointed out.

Did I manage to understand?

Thank you very much.
Regards
Petr