[R] summation sign

sffarooqi sffarooqi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 13:40:11 CEST 2012

thank you vm for the reply! Just to make things a little more complicated
--does the equation hold even if the values of x are unknown? More
specifically perhaps we can still refer to the made up example
Sum(n equal 5)log(1-xi^2)

In the problem I am working on, I am writing a modified Newton Optimisation
code with linesearch. Therefore the values of x are not given but each x
variable is some nx1 vector ..e.g. lets take a 3x1 vector.
So referring to this example, where we had to sum 5 times, how could I write
the function such that it sums 5 times, but each of the 5 x variables is
taken to be a 3x1 vector.

thank you very much again!