[R] trying ti use a function in aggregate

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Oct 25 17:59:20 CEST 2012

Hello,
Try the following.
(I've changed your function a bit. And named the data.frame 'dat', not
'data', which is an R function.)

myfun <- function (x) ifelse(sum(x) == 0, 0, x/sum(x))

aggregate(Count ~ Trip_id + Length + CommonName, data = dat, myfun)

The output shows that each and every group corresponds to a single row
of the original df. The 1's represent 100%, myfun _is_ dividing by
sum(Count) Trip_id/Length/CommonName group. If you want just
Trip_id/CommonName, use

aggregate(Count ~ Trip_id + CommonName, data = dat, myfun)

Or use your instruction without 'Length' in the by list:

b <- with(dat, aggregate(x=list(Percent=Count),
by=list(Trip_id=Trip_id, Species=CommonName),
FUN = myfun))
   Trip_id          Species    Percent
1     230          Alewife 0.01408451
2     230 Herring,Blueback 0.11111111
3     230    Shad,American 0.09090909
4     231    Shad,American 0.14285714

As you can see, the results are the same, with different output colnames.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas