[R] Testing proportional odds assumption in R

Thomas Yee t.yee at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 24 22:33:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

M1 and M2 are extreme in that all or none of the variables have
parallel lines on the logit scale.  One can try fitting a partial
POM, which remains fraught (but not as much as M2) because if
the lines intersect for a particular variable where the data lie
then there will be numerical problems.

For example, try something like

M3 <- vglm(y ~ x1 + x2 + x3, data = data,
           family = cumulative(parallel = FALSE ~ x3 - 1))

which will only allow nonparallelism wrt the x3 variable.

Another idea is to try transforming each x variable if
it crashes... that might help.

BTW, can use lrtest(), e.g., lrtest(M3, M2)

cheers

Thomas

(http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat//R/dae/ologit.htm),
 >and use graphical inspection ("We were unable to locate a facility in
R to
 >perform any of the tests commonly used to test the parallel
slopes
 >assumption.").

 >However, I found a pdf by Agresti suggesting a method using the
vglm
 >function, the pdf is called "Examples of Using R for Modeling
Ordinal
 >Data".
 >
 >> M1 <- vglm(y ~ x1 + x2 + x3, data=data,
family=cumulative(parallel=TRUE))
 >> M2 <- vglm(y ~ x1 + x2 + x3, data=data, family=cumulative, maxit=100)
 >>
 >pchisq(deviance(Mo.1)-deviance(Mo.2),
df=df.residual(Mo.1)-df.residual(Mo.2),