[R] equation solver

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 24 14:29:13 CEST 2012

On 24-10-2012, at 10:04, pina <pina.gio at hotmail.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm Pina and I'm a student in geology. I'm working with spectral profile of
> sand and I have to find the similarity between one spectral profile selected
> by hyperspectral image anche one that I created to mix different percentage
> of 4 mineral component. I have to find the best mix of percentage of this 4
> mineral in order to have the best likeness with the spectral profile chose
> by hyperspectral image. Untill now I worked with excel using the function
> equation solver to find the best fit but I 'd like to know if is possible do
> this operation working in R.

It looks like you need something that can do optimization.
R provides optim() and nlminb().

A similar question was posted several days ago.
See  http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Optimization-in-R-similar-to-MS-Excel-Solver-td4646759.html

You might have some use for package limSolve and function lsei.

Also see the CRAN Optimization Task View (http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Optimization.html)

Berend