[R] How to use tapply with more than one variables grouped

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 17:10:35 CEST 2012

Hi,

If the criteria is to pick which among the following states are the top 2 contributors for each candidate,
dat1<-read.table(text="

                  AL  AR  CA  NY
Doug    250 250 250  NA
Jennifer  20 340 300 100
Michele  250 500 250  60
Obama    15  45 520 600
",header=TRUE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE,sep="")

#for Obama
apply(dat1,1,function(x,n) x[which(rank(x)>length(x)-n)],n=2)[4]
#$Obama
# CA  NY
#520 600

Your question was to list the states where Obama has higher amount received compared to ??

A.K.