[R] function logit() vs logistic regression

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Thu Oct 18 08:15:59 CEST 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, swertie wrote:

> Hello!
> When I am analyzing proportion data, I usually apply logistic regression
> using a glm model with binomial family. For example:
> m <- glm( cbind("not realized", "realized") ~ v1 + v2 , family="binomial")
>
> However, sometimes I don't have the number of cases (realized, not
> realized), but only the proportion and thus cannot compute the binomial
> model. I just found out that the package car contains a function "logit"
> which allows for logit transformation. Would it be possible to transform
> the proportion data with this function and analyze the transformed data
> with a glm with family="gaussian"?

In situations like this, beta regression can be useful. It models the mean
and optionally also the precision (related to the variance) of a
beta-distributed response on the open (0, 1) interval. See
http://www.jstatsoft.org/v34/i02/ for an introduction to the betareg
package in R and http://www.jstatsoft.org/v48/i11/ for various extended
features.

Best,