[R] GAM without intercept

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:49:04 CEST 2012

Smooth terms are constrained to sum to zero over the covariate values.
This is an identifiability constraint designed to avoid confounding with
the intercept (particularly important if you have more than one smooth).
If you remove the intercept from you model altogether (m2) then the
smooth will still sum to zero over the covariate values, which in your
case will mean that the smooth is quite a long way from the data. When
you include the intercept (m1) then the intercept is effectively
shifting the constrained curve up towards the data, and you get a nice fit.

So it's not quite true that m2 has nothing to do with the data. The
curve you get is as close to the data as a curve constrained to average
to zero can get.

best,
Simon

--
Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283