[R] Modern Symbolic debugger for R programmes?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 09:45:32 CEST 2012

On 09/10/12 09:42, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> On 09/10/12 06:12, Worik R wrote:
>> I think I am whistling in the wind, but is there a modern symbolic debugger for R
>> programmes?
>
>> I am working through some  one else's code, thousands of lines, that has the occasional bug
>> in it, and a lot in my understanding of it.
>
>> I cannot make setBreakpoint or findLineNum  work.  I get "No source refs found.".  I am
>> starting to loose my mind!
>
>> A debugger where I could set breakpoints with a little more granularity than the function
>> level and a little more accessible than the trace function.  What I ideally want is GDB for
>> R.
>
>> Does that exist?
>
> There is quite some debugging fuctionality available in ESS for emacs
> (http://ess.r-project.org/) and I rmrmber a presentation at useR in 2011 that there is as well
> in eclipse, but there you have to used,. as far as I remember, a patched version of R.
>
> So I would suggest to look into ESS for a debugger.

Just found http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2854820/statet-debugging-tool and
http://www.walware.de/?page=/it/downloads/statet.mframe

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers,
>
> Rainer
>

>> cheers Worik

- --
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys.
(Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44