[R] help with making figures

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Oct 4 23:15:18 CEST 2012

First convert your data from short fat to long thin format: Column
headings  for the transformed data frame are:

Year     Site     Result

This can be done in a variety of ways, but check out the reshape2
package or the reshape function ins the stats package.

Once you have the data in this form, , say in the data frame, mydat,
you can plot the series by sites in a trellised layout. Either the
lattice or ggplot2 package can do this easily. e.g. in lattice it is:

xyplot(Result ~Year|Site, data = mydat, type = "b")

You can adjust the layout etc. to your taste.

There's lots more you can do, depending on what is important to you,
but that should get you started.

Cheers,
Bert