[R] multi-panel figure: overall title for each row

capy_bara hettling at few.vu.nl
Tue Oct 23 16:08:39 CEST 2012

Dear all,
I have a 3x2 plot and in addition to the title of the individual plots I
would like to have an overall title
for each row.  I managed to get an overall title for the whole plot matrix
with mtext:

par(mfrow=(c(3,2)), mar=c(6.4,4.5,4.2, 1.8), oma=c(0,0,3,0))
for (i in 1:6)
  barplot(sample(1:10,5), main=paste("Plot #",i))
mtext("Overall Title Row 1", outer=TRUE)

but I  cannot put an overall title in the middle above the titles of the
plots in the second or third row.
If I use mtext within the loop, I can only add another title above an
individual plot.

I hope someone can help me, many thanks in advance

Hannes