[R] Package "Design"

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 22 11:51:10 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm planning to work through the book "Analyzing Linguistic Data" by
R.H. Baayen, which is an introduction to R used for, well, what the
title says. ;-) On the first page of the book, Baayen says that in order
to work with the book, R needs to download and install a number of
packages from CRAN.

The problem is that one of these packages, "Design", has apparently been
made obsolete since the book came out (2008) and replaced by the rms
package. Trying to install it results in the warning "package ‘Design’
is not available (for R version 2.15.1)".

The Design package is still available in the CRAN archive at
<http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/Design/>. I've tried
installing it locally, but doing that results in "ERROR: dependency
‘Hmisc’ is not available for package ‘Design’". Note that Hmisc is one
of the packages that *did* install correctly from CRAN.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed... Is there a way to
get Design to install regardless of the dependency? (Since Hmisc is
already installed.)

Thanks,

Joost

--