[R] Unable to install rtiff package

Joël Lafond Lapalme Joel.Lafond.Lapalme at USherbrooke.ca
Wed Oct 17 17:37:00 CEST 2012

Hello all,

i am using Ubuntu 12.04 and I have R 2.14.1

When i try to install the rtiff package I got this error:

    > install.packages("rtiff")
    Installing package(s) into
‘/home/lapalmejo/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.14’
    (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
    --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
    trying URL
'http://cran.parentingamerica.com/src/contrib/rtiff_1.4.1.tar.gz'
    Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 102323 bytes (99 Kb)
    opened URL
    downloaded 99 Kb

    * installing *source* package ‘rtiff’ ...
    ** package ‘rtiff’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... no
    Error: Could not find libtiff.
    ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘rtiff’
    * removing ‘/home/lapalmejo/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.14/rtiff’
    * restoring previous
‘/home/lapalmejo/R/i686-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.14/rtiff’

    The downloaded packages are in
    	‘/tmp/RtmpRPc60q/downloaded_packages’
    Warning message:
    In install.packages("rtiff") :
      installation of package ‘rtiff’ had non-zero exit status

But I have libtiff install... I search a lot on the web and try all
solution but nothing solve my problem.

I suppose that i did not install libtiff correctly, I tried a lot of
things... but nothing work.

I need a detailed procedure to install libtiff and install the rtiff package.

Let me know if you have a solution or if you had a similar problem.

Thank you
Joel