[R] Pkg rgl: installation fails because of x11

ian ian.scott-fleming at ttu.edu
Fri Oct 12 18:43:54 CEST 2012

In my case R was not built with X support, and I was also missing some openGL
libraries.  The info I needed was in the README inside the unzipped tarball
for rgl.  But rgl cleaned up after failing the install, and deleted the
README, so I never new the README was there until I manually untarr'ed the
tarball and looked inside it.  (Error msg from install.packages("rgl")
showed where the tarball was.)

I needed to do the following:
1.  Rebuild R with X support.  Add --with-X to the configure line when
building  See app.B.1 "Configuration Options" of R Installation & Admin
manual
./configure --with-tcltk --with-system-zlib --with-system-bzlib
--enable-R-shlib --with-x
				(note:  might need --x-includes=DIR --x-libraries=DIR  .  Seemed to work
without these for me, presumably because they are in the default location)
			make
			make check
			make install
2.  Install missing openGL libraries (I'm on RHEL...use apt get on other
systems):
yum install mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel libpng-devel

3.  Install rgl
			> install.packages("rgl")

HTH