[R] RPostgreSQL Date format problem

scottyjock scott.smith2 at nhs.net
Thu Oct 4 14:44:08 CEST 2012

Hi, I've just started using RPostgreSQL within R to interrogate a PostgreSQL
database. The problem I have is that a column containing dates shows up
differently in R than in the database:

here is the output direct from the psql database in Linux:

db=> select pat_dob_dt from patients where pat_dob_dt like '%1980';
 pat_dob_dt
------------
 04/05/1980
 01/12/1980
 04/05/1980
 02/10/1980
 05/01/1980
 25/09/1980
 14/12/1980
 22/07/1980
 24/01/1980
 01/07/1980
(10 rows)

and here is output from within R:

R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22) -- "Roasted Marshmallows"
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> library(RPostgreSQL)
>  dbhost <- Sys.getenv("PGHOST")
>  m <- dbDriver("PostgreSQL")
>  con <- dbConnect(m, dbname = "db", host = dbhost)
> query <- "SELECT pat_dob_dt from patients where pat_dob_dt like '%1980';">
> pat_data <- dbGetQuery(con, statement = query)
> pat_data
   pat_dob_dt
1     4-05-19
2     1-12-19
3     4-05-19
4     2-10-19
5     5-01-19
6    25-09-19
7    14-12-19
8    22-07-19
9    24-01-19
10    1-07-19

As you can see it strips off the last two digits in the year, and converts
the "/" to a "-".
The as.Date function does not help as it cannot magically make the 2 digits
appear.....is this a setting in RPostgreSQL?
Completely stuck....google not helped.

thanks in advance....
Scott