[R] Ops.factor(point1, point2) : - not meaningful for factors

nadiah nadiah1905 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:07:52 CEST 2012

Hi, can anyone help me in this problem :(. I am a total beginner in R
software.  It took me 2 days just to look into this problem.  Due to this
problem. I cant do looping. i want to find the distance between x and DSi

> DSi
  i       Si
1 1  (5, 20)
2 2  (20, 2)
3 3 (25, 32)
4 4  (8, 39)
5 5 (10, 17)
6 6 (35, 20)
7 7 (38, 10)
> str (DSi)
'data.frame':   7 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ i : int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7
 $ Si: Factor w/ 7 levels "(10, 17)","(20, 2)",..: 6 2 3 7 1 4 5

> x <- c(15, 45)
> y <- DSi [,2]
> dist <- function (point1, point2)
+ {
+ diff <- point1-point2
+ distance <- sqrt(sum(diff^2))
+ distance
+ }
> dist (x, y)
[1] NA
Warning message:
In Ops.factor(point1, point2) : - not meaningful for factors

Regards,
Nadiah