[R] Legend Truncated Using filled.contour

Kirsten kasimmon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:58:54 CEST 2012

Hey everyone,

I'm working on a contour plot depicting asymptomatic prevalence at varying
durations of infectiousness and force of infection.  I've been able to work
everything out except for this one - my legend title keeps getting cut off.
Here's what I have:

filled.contour(x=seq(2,30,length.out=nrow(asym_matrix)),
y=seq(1,2,length.out=ncol(asym_matrix)),
asym_matrix,
color = function(x)rev(heat.colors(x)),
plot.title = title(main="Asymptomatic Prevalence in 0-4 Year Olds with\n
Increasing Duration of Infectiousness",
xlab = "Duration of Infectiousness",
ylab = "Relative Force of Infection"),
key.title = title(main = "Asymptomatic\n Prevalence"))

My first thought was to make the legend title text smaller using cex = 0.75
(or similar), but it doesn't change the text size at all.  In fact, none of
the modifiers that I've tried to add to the key.title line (size, color,
font, etc) seems to be making a bit of difference.

key.title = title(main = "Asymptomatic\n Prevalence", cex = "0.75")

I assume there's an override earlier in the code, but I have no idea what it
is.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Kirsten