[R] Reading labels for very large heatmaps

JIMonroe jim5bm at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 1 22:42:24 CEST 2012

Hello,
I have a large (919 X 919), hierarchically clustered heatmap that I would
like to read the labels off of.  I have tried saving the figure in pdf
format and enlarging it until I can see the labels, but if I make the labels
small enough to read (so that they don't overlap) using cexRow and cexCol,
they do not appear in the pdf.  The limit seems to be anything below cexRow
or Col = 0.06.  Is there a way to have smaller labels visible in the pdf?
Is this an issue with resolution?  I could get by with just a quarter of the
heatmap (i.e. half of a row and half of a column) so that the labels don't
have to be so small, but the heatmap must be clustered before this is done.
I tried to cut the dendrogram at just the halfway point of the heatmap, but
was not successful.  Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jacob