[R] can't create png graphics under linux anymore

Tobias Pilz tpilz at uni-potsdam.de
Mon Oct 1 15:54:13 CEST 2012

Hi,

since my update of Linux from opensuse 11.4 to 12.1 and the update of R
to 2.15.1 I can't produce graphics with png() or similar (like tiff,
jpeg etc.) anymore. The following error occurs:

 > png()
Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), g$width, g$height,
pointsize,  :
   unable to start Device PNG
Additionally: Warning:
In png() : png isn't supported of this R version

(error message translated from german)

Before the updates everything worked fine and still works under Windows
7 for R 2.15.1 on the same machine. I couldn't find something useful
with google. As far as I know R still supports png?! Maybe the problem
is related to suse?

Thanks for any help,

Tobias