[R] Fitting and plotting a coxph with survfit, package(surv)

Andrews, Chris chrisaa at med.umich.edu
Wed Nov 28 14:28:21 CET 2012

Your model is additive so the effect of rx is the same at every age.  There is not one survival curve for all ages (unless the beta for age is 0).  The curves will shift up and down as you vary age, but they will retain the same relation.  A common approach is to use the sample mean of age.  Alternatively you can compute the survival curves (or the cumulative hazard curves) for many ages and compute a weighted average of them (weights depending on some reference population perhaps). Finally, if you leave age out of the model you don't even need to specify age to draw the survival curves.  It kind of depends on what you are trying to do.

Chris

Ps last time I posted code it all ran together.  We'll see what happens this time.

library(survival)
data(kidney)

mod1 <- coxph(Surv(time, status) ~ sex + age, data=kidney)
mod2 <- coxph(Surv(time, status) ~ sex, data=kidney)
meanage <- mean(kidney$age)

plot(survfit(mod1, newdata=data.frame(sex =c(1:2), age=meanage)), xscale=365.25, xlab = "Years", ylab="Survival", col=1:2)
plot(survfit(mod2, newdata=data.frame(sex =c(1:2))), xscale=365.25, xlab = "Years", ylab="Survival", col=1:2)

ttt <- hist(kidney$age)
weights <- ttt$counts/ sum(ttt$counts)

survcurves <- survfit(mod, newdata=expand.grid(sex =c(1:2), age=ttt$mids), se.fit=FALSE)
str(survcurves)
sc2 <- survcurves
sc2$surv <- t(apply(survcurves$surv, 1, function(x)  c(mean(x[seq(1,length(x),2)]), mean(x[seq(2,length(x),2)]))))
plot(sc2, xscale=365.25, xlab = "Years", ylab="Survival", col=1:2)