[R] Effect of each term in the accuracy of Nonlinear multivariate regression fitting equation

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 15:55:22 CET 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 7:44 AM, Keith Jewell wrote:

> In this context, "linear model" means linear in the _coefficients_
> not (necessarily) linear in the predictors, so your model:
>   JIM ~ z1*A + z2*B + z3*A*B^2 + z4*C*D^3 + z5*A^2*B^2 ...
> is a linear model (in z1, z2, ...).
>
> So you don't need to use nls, lm is probably favourite. You can use
> all the techniques around for evaluating linear models; anova.lm
> might give you a start.

The additional R coding tip would be the I() function,

lm(JIM ~  B + A*I(B^2) + I(C*D^3) + I(A^2*B^2) + ...

Note that A and I(B^2) would also get estimates because of the way "*"
is interpreted in formulas. If the "*" is inside the I() function that
interpretation is not expanded.

In the linear models context it might be wiser to forego this approach
and instead use regression splines.

--
David.