[R] HELP! Excel and R give me totally different regression results using the exact same data

frauke fhoss at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 7 17:53:24 CET 2012

Hi David, hi Rui,

thanks for your quick replies. I have replicated David's R results and
confirmed them with Minitab. Though I'm not sure what you are trying to tell
me with the code you wrote, David. Do you mean, I should use a dataframe
rather than a matrix, or use the "data=" part of the lm() function?

Rui seems to be right, too. Excel's regression function doesn't work; I
cannot replicate the Minitab and R results with it. According to the
Microsoft website this is probably because the x- and y-values overlap. I am
truly astonished that such a major bug doesn't at least have a major red
flag to it.

Thank you! Frauke