[R] optim & .C / Crashing on run

paulfjbrowne paulfj.browne at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:31:14 CET 2012

Playing around with alternate optimzers, I've found that both nlminb & the
nls.lm Levenberg-Marquadt optimizer in minpack.lm both work with my
objective function without crashing, and minimize the function as I'd expect
them to.

Using optim for amoeba sampling would be nice, but I think I'll just have to
chalk up its crashing with my external code library as a problem I won't be
able to solve for now. I'll use nlminb or nls.lm for optimization & a
hand-coded MCMC algorithm for characterization of local minima.