[R] finding global variables in a function containing formulae

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Sat Nov 3 19:22:47 CET 2012

findGlobals must be explicitly ignoring calls to the ~ function.
You could poke through the source code of codetools and find
where this is happening.

Or, if you have the source code for the package you are investigating,
use sed to change all "~" to "%TILDE%" and then use findGlobals on
the resulting source code.  The messages will be a bit garbled but
should give you a start.  E.g., compare the following two, in which y
is defined in the function but x is not:
   > findGlobals(function(y)lm(y~x))
  [1] "~"  "lm"
  > findGlobals(function(y)lm(y %TILDE% x))
  [1] "lm"      "%TILDE%" "x"

You will get false alarms, since in a call like lm(y~x+z, data=dat) findGlobals
cannot know if dat includes columns called 'x', 'y', and 'z' and the above
approach errs on the side of reporting the potential problem.

You could use code in codetools to analyze S code instead of source code
to globally replace all calls to "~" with calls to "%TILDE%" but that is more
work than using sed on the source code.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com