[R] importing jpeg 2000

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:03:48 CET 2012

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Fred909 <friedhelmv at gmail.com> wrote:
> A.K. thanks for your reply.
>
> I found that message and installed the package but it didn't work:
>
>> readGDAL("3ba54d52.jp2")
> Error in .local(.Object, ...) :
>   `3ba54d52.jp2' not recognised as a supported file format.
>
> May be I overlooked something?

readGDAL will only work if you the rgdal package against an underlying
GDAL library that includes JPEG2000. The Windows binary on CRAN does
not.

In R rgdal is the only route I know of, but the steps to compile are
not trivial - it is probably easier in this sense on Linux, but I'd
say you better look outside of R for a conversion.

rgdal and JPEG2000 is usually discussed on R-Sig-Geo mailing list
since they are primarily used for spatial data.

If you are on Windows (you don't say) there is a way to access
JPEG2000 with OSGeo4W, but that is a topic for a different mailing
list.

Cheers, Mike.