[R] How to nicely display R code with the LaTeX package 'listings'?

Roy Mendelssohn roy.mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 1 21:11:09 CET 2012

On Nov 1, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Marius Hofert wrote:

> So for putting in some lines of code in a
> paper, this is quite restrictive (that's why I was hoping for a latex-related
> solution -- still asking on r-help since I'd expect R users to have encountered
> this issue before).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marius

I use the Latex package "listings" with the following settings:

\lstset{ %
  language=R,                % the language of the code
  basicstyle=\footnotesize,           % the size of the fonts that are used for the code
  numbers=left,                   % where to put the line-numbers
  numberstyle=\tiny\color{gray},  % the style that is used for the line-numbers
  stepnumber=2,                   % the step between two line-numbers. If it's 1, each line
                                  % will be numbered
  numbersep=5pt,                  % how far the line-numbers are from the code
  backgroundcolor=\color{white},      % choose the background color. You must add \usepackage{color}
  showspaces=false,               % show spaces adding particular underscores
  showstringspaces=false,         % underline spaces within strings
  showtabs=false,                 % show tabs within strings adding particular underscores
  frame=single,                   % adds a frame around the code
  rulecolor=\color{black},        % if not set, the frame-color may be changed on line-breaks within not-black text (e.g. commens (green here))
  tabsize=2,                      % sets default tabsize to 2 spaces
  captionpos=b,                   % sets the caption-position to bottom
  breaklines=true,                % sets automatic line breaking
  breakatwhitespace=false,        % sets if automatic breaks should only happen at whitespace
  title=\lstname,                   % show the filename of files included with \lstinputlisting;
                                  % also try caption instead of title
  keywordstyle=\color{blue},          % keyword style
  commentstyle=\color{dkgreen},       % comment style
  stringstyle=\color{mauve},         % string literal style
  escapeinside={\%*}{*)},            % if you want to add a comment within your code
  morekeywords={*,...}               % if you want to add more keywords to the set
}

HTH,

-Roy M.
**********************