[R] segfault debugging

Donatella Quagli donatella.quagli at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 30 18:02:34 CET 2012

Hello everybody,

I have written a script with two inline cfunctions. The script crashes from time to time with:
   *** caught segfault ***
  address 0x10, cause 'memory not mapped'

The crashs happen within R code after the cfunctions were executed. Nevertheless I think
that the pointers in my cfunctions are not used correctly.

I tried to find some examples for debugging tools. I found something like "R -d gdb". But I
could not find an example how to use it with #!/usr/bin/Rscript. And I cannot source the script
within a running R session because I must run it with some args.

Can anybody tell me as a non nerd step by step what I can do to locate the problem? Can
you recommend tools? If so how are they used with Rscript?

Many many thanks in advance
Donatella