[R] lapack routines cannot be loaded [Help request]

Manca Marco (PATH) m.manca at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Nov 22 12:23:15 CET 2012

Dear BioConductor and R fellow users

I apologize in advance for double posting, but I am not sure which list would actually be best fit for this message.

I am experiencing a weird error with my R installation on Ubuntu 10.04.4 (LTS) 64bit:

When I run R on the terminal everything goes smoothly:

$R
R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat"
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

However, as soon as I try to use limma (or WGCNA... I haven't tried other packages yet) the following mistake pops up ( lapack routines cannot be loaded )

>library(limma)

> fit <- lmFit(Data.rma, design)
Error in chol2inv(fit$qr$qr, size = fit$qr$rank) :
  lapack routines cannot be loaded
In addition: Warning message:
In chol2inv(fit$qr$qr, size = fit$qr$rank) :
  unable to load shared object '/usr/lib64/R/modules//lapack.so':
  /usr/lib64/R/modules//lapack.so: undefined symbol: dpstrf_

It is independent of the dataset I am using.

I have already tried to recompile the whole BioConductor set of packages, and updated the general packages via CRAN, but nothing changed.

Following I am attaching my sessionInfo(), and you will find enclosed to this email the (incriminated) lapack.so file, should you be willing/able to take a look at it.

Any insights into what could be going on, and how to address the issue?

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.utf8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.utf8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8
 [7] LC_PAPER=C                LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C              LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] limma_3.12.3          hgu133plus2cdf_2.10.0 AnnotationDbi_1.18.4
[4] affy_1.34.0           Biobase_2.16.0        BiocGenerics_0.2.0

[1] affyio_1.24.0         BiocInstaller_1.4.9   DBI_0.2-5
[4] IRanges_1.14.4        preprocessCore_1.18.0 RSQLite_0.11.2
[7] stats4_2.15.2         tools_2.15.2          zlibbioc_1.2.0

Thank you in advance,
Marco

--
Dr Marco Manca
University of Maastricht

Mailing address: PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht (The Netherlands)
Visiting address: UNS40 West building - 5th floor Room5.544, Universiteit Singel 40, 6229  HX Maastricht

E-mail: m.manca at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Office telephone: +31(0)433884289
Personal mobile: +31(0)626441205
Twitter: @markomanka

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.

It may contain material protected by privacy or doctor-patient/consultant-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for

delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

If you have received this email in error please notify us by telephone on +31626441205 Dr Marco MANCA