[R] lmer model specification

Roy jroyrobertson at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 20:35:33 CET 2012

I am running version 2.15.2 64 bit version on 64 bit Windows 7. I have a
data set with the following structure:
Fixed Effect: locationFact
Random Effects: datefact, timefact nested in datefact, interactions of
datefact and timefact with locationFact
I fit the model with the latest version of lme4.

The formula is:   Thick2 ~ locationFact + (1 | datefact) + (1 |
datefact/timefact) +      (1 | locationFact:datefact) + (1 |
datefact/locationFact:timefact)

Other elements of  output object are:

Linear mixed model fit by REML

Random effects:
  Groups                                            Name Variance Std.Dev.
  locationFact:timefact:datefact  (Intercept)  34.614   5.8833
  timefact:datefact                        (Intercept)  96.795 9.8385
  locationFact:datefact                 (Intercept)  56.375   7.5083
  datefact                                       (Intercept) 20.341
4.5101
  datefact                                       (Intercept) 20.338
4.5098
  datefact                                       (Intercept) 20.340
4.5100
  Residual 447.252  21.1483
I tested this model using rmel with another software package and found
that the datefact variance is the sum of the 3 datefact variance
estimates above. Is there a way to specify the model so I do not get the
3 datefact estimates? The same applies to the datefact BLUPs. I have to
add them to get the actual BLUP.

Thank you,

Roy Robertson