[R] Sourcing files with Umlaut in path no longer works

Ulrike Grömping groemping at bht-berlin.de
Wed Nov 21 12:49:53 CET 2012

Dear helpeRs,

on my new machine - Windows 7 64Bit, R 2.15-2, I can no longer source
files for which the path contains the o-Umlaut (ö). As a historical
burden, my username is Grömping and contains that Umlaut (I wouldn't
have chosen it now, but decided to keep it for easy transfer). I have
had the difficulty that I couldn't use the R CMD tools on files with
Umlauts in the path (and solved it by having a dedicated directory
without umlaut in the path for that purpose), but so far (Windows XP and
earlier R versions) sourcing from within R worked fine.

The issue is that the o-Umlaut (ö) is always replaced by a capital A
with tilde above together with a paragraph symbol (ö). Apparently, the
c3b6  used for the o-Umlaut in some encoding is translated back to the
ö. Can I somehow fix this? Or is it a bug?

Best regards,
Ulrike