[R] Getting information encoded in a SAS, SPSS or Stata command file into R.

andrewH ahoerner at rprogress.org
Tue Nov 13 05:23:36 CET 2012

Dear folks –
I have a large (26 gig) ASCII flat file in fixed-width format with about 10
million observations of roughly 400 variables.  (It is 51 years of Current
Population Survey micro data from IPUMS, roughly half the fields for each
record).  The file was produced by automatic process in response to a data
request of mine.

The file is not accompanied by a human-readable file giving the fieldnames
and starting positions for each field.  Instead it comes with three command
files that describe the file, one each for SAS SPSS, and Stata. I do not
have ready access to any of these programs.  I understand that these files
also include the equivalent of the levels attribute for the coded data.  I
might be able to hand-extract the information I need from the command files,
but this would involve days of tedious work that I am hoping to avoid.

I have read through the R Data Import/Export manual 2 and the foreign
package documentation and I do not see anything that would allow me to
extract the necessary information from these command files. Does anyone know
of any r package or other non-proprietary tools that would allow me to get
this data set from its current form into any of the following formats:
SAS, SPSS or Stata binary files read by R.
A MySQL data base
An ffdf object readable using the ff package.

My ultimate goal is to get the data into an ffdf object so that I can
manipulate it in R, perhaps by way of a database. In allocation I will
probably be using no more than 20 variables at a time, probably a bit under
a gig. I am working on a machine with three gig of ram.

(I have seen some suggestions that data.table also provides a
memory-efficient way of providing database-like functions, but I am unsure
whether it would let me cope with an object of this size).

Any help or suggestions anyone could offer would be very much appreciated.

Warmest regards, andrewH