[R] relative convergence in 'optim'

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini hzambran.newsgroups at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 16:48:24 CET 2012

Dear list,

I have a question related to the correct interpretation of the
relative convergence criterion used by 'optim'.

In the help of the function is it written that:

"reltol:Relative convergence tolerance. The algorithm stops if it is
unable to reduce the value by a factor of reltol * (abs(val) + reltol)
at a step."

and I was wondering if the previous criterion is equivalent to:

abs( val [iter] - val[iter-1] ) / val [iter-1] <= reltol * ( abs( val
[iter] ) + reltol )

OR

abs( val [iter] / val [iter-1] ) <= reltol * ( abs( val [iter] ) + reltol )

OR

abs( val [iter] - val [iter-1] ) <= reltol * ( abs( val [iter] ) + reltol )

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini

--
Water Resources Unit