[R] Warning message: numerical expression has 1000 elements: only the first used

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Thu May 31 08:18:06 CEST 2012

Ozgur -- No, this is not what the OP seems to be asking for (and it's
bad code anyways -- I've mentioned the importance of pre-allocation to
you before):

OP, if I understand you, you are looking for a cumsum() operation:
something like:

t <- rbinom(1000, 1, 0.5)
t[t==0] <- (-1)
cumsum(t)

Alternatively, noting that rbinom(, 1, ) gives only values of 0 and
one, it's even faster to do:

cumsum(2*rbinom(1000,1,0.5)-1)

e.g.,

set.seed(1)