[R] anova.coxph for multiple events model

Andreia Leite andreiaheitorleite at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:59:03 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to do a multiple events model using coxph. I need to choose which
covariates stay in the final model and i'm using anova but it seems that it
doesn't work with robust variances as a error message appears when I try to
do it:

/PWPfit<-coxph(Surv(ini,fim,status)~Sexo+Transmissao+Regime+HAART+Drogas+Psi+
+ CD4+CV+Neo+IO+cluster(idPARTICIPANTE)+strata(Estrato),data=PWP)

> anova(PWPfit)
Error in anova.coxph(PWPfit) :
  Can't do anova tables with robust variances
/

However when I fit two different nested models the function anova seems to
work:

/>
PWPfit<-coxph(Surv(ini,fim,status)~Sexo+Transmissao+Regime+HAART+Drogas+Psi+
+ CD4+CV+Neo+IO+cluster(idPARTICIPANTE)+strata(Estrato),data=PWP)

> PWPfit2<-coxph(Surv(ini,fim,status)~Sexo+Transmissao+Regime+HAART+Drogas+Psi+
+ CD4+CV+Neo+cluster(idPARTICIPANTE)+strata(Estrato),data=PWP)

> anova(PWPfit,PWPfit2,test="Chisq")
Analysis of Deviance Table

Model 1: Surv(ini, fim, status) ~ Sexo + Transmissao + Regime + HAART +
    Drogas + Psi + CD4 + CV + Neo + IO + cluster(idPARTICIPANTE) +
    strata(Estrato)
Model 2: Surv(ini, fim, status) ~ Sexo + Transmissao + Regime + HAART +
    Drogas + Psi + CD4 + CV + Neo + cluster(idPARTICIPANTE) +
    strata(Estrato)
  Resid. Df Resid. Dev  Df Deviance P(>|Chi|)
1       371    1253.00
2       372    1253.30  -1    -0.31    0.5794
Warning message:
In all(lapply(object, function(x) inherits(x, "coxph"))) :
  coercing argument of type 'list' to logical

/

Does anyone know why this happens? Should I do it separately for each
variable or is there an alternative way to choose covariates in this kind of
models?

Thanks a lot,

Andreia Leite (Biostatistics Master Degree Student)
Faculdade de Ciências, Lisbon, Portugal