[R] trouble automating formula edits when log or * are present; update trouble

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Tue May 29 18:31:13 CEST 2012

Hi Paul,

I haven't quite thought through this yet, but might it not be easier
to convert your formula to a character and then use gsub et al on it
directly?

Something like this

# Using m2 as you set up below
m2 <- lm(y ~ log(x1) + x2*x3, data=dat)

f2 <- formula(m2)

as.formula(paste(f2[2], f2[1],gsub("x1", "x1c", as.character(f2[3]))))

It's admittedly unwieldy, but it seems pretty robust.

Something like:

changeFormula <- function(form, xIn, xOut){
    as.formula(paste(form[2], form[1], gsub(xIn, xOut, as.character(form[3]))))
}

changeForm(formula(m2), "x1", "x1c")

I'm not sure if this will play nice with environments and what not so
you might need to change those manually.

Hope this gets you started,
Michael